Red Lentil and Coconut Dhal
This recipe can be served as a dhal and eaten as it is, with chapattis or you can use it as a sauce and pour it over vegetables. I find it works well with sliced, sautéed mushrooms.
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
225g red lentils
¾ pint vegetable stock
25-50g creamed coconut
How to Cook
- Sweat the onion for a few minutes, until soft.
- Mix the spices in a little hot water and add to the onion, stir well, then add the garlic and cook for two minutes.
- Stir in the lentils and fry for one minute, then pour in the boiling stock.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer over a gentle heat for about 20 minutes (be careful when lifting the lid as this mixture spits!)
- Dissolve the coconut in a little boiling water and stir it into the lentils. Cook for a few minutes until the mixture has reduced to the desired consistency before serving.