Tomatoey Quorn Cottage Pie
Quorn™, veggie mince and textured vegetable protein (TVP) are great vegetarian substitutes for minced meat because they are still high in protein but much lower in fat. If you’re starting out as a vegetarian or vegan, cooking for meat-eaters or want a low fat diet, you can easily make your favourite dishes without missing the meat. I have used Quorn or TVP lots of times in veggie chilli and meat-eaters often haven’t noticed the difference – the secret is in the sauce!
Quorn™ and TVP can be enhanced and flavoured with herbs, spices, garlic, mushroom ketchup, onion gravy powder, tomato puree, pepper sauce or even a dash of red wine or sherry. I often add soy sauce or yeast extract such as Marmite™ which is good for Vitamin B, but go easy if you’re cooking for someone on a low sodium diet as both are quite salty.
Please note that Quorn™ is not suitable for vegans because it contains egg white and some products contain milk, so use TVP instead. More information and recipes can be found on the Quorn™ website.
This recipe from Jill, keeps with our Vitamin A theme, because tomatoes are bursting with beta carotene and another antioxidant called lycopene, which is said might help reduce the risk of certain cancers.
300g pack of frozen Quorn™ or TVP (for vegans)
Half an onion
1 clove garlic
Dried mixed herbs
1 grated carrot
1 large fresh tomato
125ml chopped tomatoes
150ml vegetarian/vegan stock
For the topping
3 large peeled and boiled potatoes mashed with a drop of milk (soya or cow’s milk) and butter/ spread. I added a bit of wholegrain mustard to mine to make it a bit tangy.
How to Cook
1. Fry onion, garlic and herbs in a little vegetable oil
2. Add Quorn™ and tomatoes (both fresh and chopped)
3. Grate the carrot and mix in
4. Add stock
5. Boil potatoes
6. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins
7. Pour out Quorn™ and vegetable mixture into baking dish
8. Spoon mash over the top and pat down with a fork
9. You can add grated cheese and breadcrumbs for a crispy top (I didn’t)
10. Place under the grill for no more than 10 mins until browned
11. Serve with steamed veg such as carrots and/or frozen peas (with mint) and roast parsnips
Serves: 4 adult size portions